Working With You To Build A Better Future

Can I take my child to visit relatives overseas after divorce?

On Behalf of | Apr 16, 2021 | Divorce |

If you have family in another country, you might want to travel to see them with your child. To do so, you need to follow the correct procedures.

You need the other parent’s permission to travel overseas with your child

Customs officials at a border or airport will ask to see your permission to take the child out of the country. The rules apply to all parents, even those who are still married. Without that paperwork, you cannot travel.

What if the other parent does not want to permit me to travel with my child?

If the other parent refuses to sign permission, you can take the issue to court. If the other parent thinks you will steal the child and never return, they may also take it to court. They could seek a court order to stop you. Regardless of who takes the case to court, an attorney can help you present your case. If you have always abided by your child custody agreement, it will help your chances.

If the other parent claims that you are trying to abduct your child, the judge will look for proof. If you have sold your car, put your flat on the market and emptied your U.S. bank account, it will not help your cause.

Child custody can get complicated after a divorce. If you and the other parent do not trust each other, it can limit your freedom to travel as you wish. Judges would prefer not to have to rule on issues between you and your child’s other parent. They would rather you settle things between you. Shared parenting can be challenging. Placing your child’s best interests first can help clarify the decisions you need to make.